We Need You!
Everyone who works on Chicon 8 is a volunteer. The World Science Fiction Convention is 100% volunteer-run by fans for fans. It is a rewarding experience, whether working before, during or after the convention.
Worldcon needs volunteers. Worldcons are large, complicated events and we need hundreds of volunteers to take Chicon 8 to the stars!. Volunteering is a rewarding and varied experience that can lead to developing new skills or flexing some old ones. If you are new to Worldcon, it is a great way to meet people!
- How do I sign up?
- Complete the volunteer form or email us at volunteer@Chicon.org and we will get in touch with you.
- What can I do?
- Volunteers do it all! Every bit helps. The roles vary widely. Convention Staff roles can vary in terms of time required and level of responsibility. We need people to take minutes at meetings, help with promotions, social media, and our blog, curate exhibits, brainstorm program ideas, and we even need volunteers to help organize the volunteers! Down the road, there will be no shortage of at-con roles in programming, events, or exhibits. We need volunteers to staff the registration desk, act as gophers, ushers, stage hands, and so much more. No need to wait for those though – help us out with something else now!
- How much time will I spend?
- Volunteers are needed before, during, and after the convention. During or immediately before the convention you can volunteer for a few hours or as much time as you care to offer. You can make a substantial time commitment by taking on a Staff role which involves more responsibilities in specific areas. You decide what is right for you and what will be most rewarding for you.
- Will I get a free membership for volunteering?
Everyone attending Chicon 8, including volunteers, needs to purchase an attending membership prior to the beginning of the convention.
Some prior Worldcons have offered reimbursements to volunteers after the convention, and we are in the process of deciding on similar policies.
- I’m interested in a specific position / I spoke with someone about a specific role / someone asked me to help with their job
- Fill in the volunteer form or email us at volunteer@Chicon.org and let us know! We’ll forward your details to the appropriate team member.
- Someone already offered me a job but I’d like to do more
- Fill in the volunteer form or email us at email@example.com and let us know! We absolutely have things you can do to help which you’ll enjoy doing!
- Any other questions?
- Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will answer any questions.