Welcome to Chicon 8: The 80th World Science Fiction Convention! We are delighted to bring the longest running speculative fiction convention back to Chicago for a record-setting eighth time in September 2022. Chicon 8 will be held at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, with an estimated 4,000-5,000 members attending in person or participating in our simultaneous hybrid virtual convention.
The World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon) was first held in 1939. Over the past 80 years it has become the world’s longest running and most prestigious science fiction convention and literary conference, attracting thousands of fans, authors, actors, scientists, cosplayers, gamers, and geek culture lovers from around the globe. We are home to the Hugo Awards, the highest, most coveted award in the speculative fiction field.
We look forward to working with partners who recognize the value of the international visibility and local opportunities that a Worldcon provides. Put your brand in front of a well-educated, professional, and passionate audience spanning all age groups and lifestyles. We can offer the right solution for your needs, including direct messaging at events, publication advertising space, digital branding opportunities, and branded items for distribution to attendees.
Chicon 8 Sponsorship Policy
Sponsorships enable Worldcons to provide an experience that cannot be achieved from internal funding sources (memberships, exhibitor income, advertising, and passalong funds) alone. The enhancements facilitated by this extra income can take many forms, as illustrated by some examples from past Worldcons:
- Improved access to the event by under-represented groups (e.g. through subsidized memberships and/or accommodation)
- Additional guests and featured program participants
- Streaming of selected events and program streams
- Additional exhibits and displays
- Improve catering in the Con Suite, Green Room, or event receptions
- Accessibility measures such as CART (real time speech-to-text)
- Shuttle buses to offsite hotels
Chicon 8 is therefore seeking sponsorship from external organizations and corporations to achieve our vision. At the same time, we are aware of our obligation to select sponsors who are aligned to our vision and acceptable to our community. While few if any sponsors will be completely immune to criticism, we are committed to a sponsor review process and criteria that will protect the reputation of our convention, our members, and our participants.
For centuries, artists have worked with patrons and used their money to create beautiful art. Community organizations dedicated to peace, justice, and equality have also taken money to help them create stronger and more equitable communities. We will follow in the footsteps of these artists and community organizers to use funds from our sponsors to help us create a stronger and more equitable community through the celebration of the arts related to science fiction and fantasy.
Our criteria for considering sponsorship opportunities are as follows. (It is impossible to be exhaustive in defining which offers we would decline, but we have indicated key groups where possible).
- We will favor sponsors whose mission aligns with our own theme of “Take to the Stars”. This theme represents imagination, a sense of wonder, and the bright lights that guide us on our journeys. Chicon 8 will explore our universe, inspire our attendees, and celebrate the community that we love.
- We will not accept any sponsorships where doing so would violate our Code of Conduct or Anti-Racism policies.
- We will assess potential sponsors against Environmental, Societal and Governance (ESG) principles as are commonly used to filter ethical investments. (See Investopedia as an example).
- We are open to sponsorship of the pre-Hugo Awards Finalist Reception(s) and sponsorship of the costs involved in streaming the Hugo Awards Ceremony, subject to robust scrutiny for suitability. We will not accept sponsorship of the Hugo Awards or the Hugo Awards Ceremony.
Anyone who would like more information on sponsorship opportunities can contact us. We are ready, willing, and able to create a custom sponsorship or partnership opportunity.
All sponsorship opportunities, of any value, will be tested against objective suitability criteria as set out below. This will apply to both cash and in-kind sponsorships.
All sponsorship opportunities with a value of over $1,000 will be reviewed by our Division Head group.
All sponsors with a value of over $1,000 will be prominently acknowledged on our public website when the agreement is finalized, so that all members of the community can see who our sponsors are.
We will not hesitate to decline offers which we believe conflict with our values or would be considered unsuitable by a significant part of our membership or by the under-represented and historically marginalized groups that we are actively encouraging to become part of the Worldcon community.
Within the limits of good faith and practicality, we will seek to release and off-board sponsors if information comes to light after their selection which would have caused us to decline their sponsorship and demonstrates that they are no longer suitable partners for Chicon 8.
Download our Sponsorship Prospectus.
Worldcon is where the future gets invented. The popular culture trends of tomorrow are born here, at our unique mix of international literary conference, academic symposium, fan gathering, and social event. Your company, brand, or business can be part of that process.
Let us provide the opportunity to make you part of the future.
Chair, Chicon 8