What is a membership?
Some other events sell tickets, but Worldcons sell memberships. Why? Because Worldcon members are not just spectators but active participants, with both rights and responsibilities. Chicon 8 memberships are available in two classes: Attending and Supporting.
How do I register?
The easiest and quickest way to register is here. If you want to send a check, complete your registration and information about paying by check can be found there. The most sociable way to register will be to find our representatives sitting at a table at any of numerous science fiction conventions around the world and register in person.
Attending Members can physically attend the convention and enjoy full access to convention activities and events (subject to minimum age limits for some events). Adults, Young Adults, Teens, and Child membership classes receive all convention publications and will be eligible to nominate and vote for the 2022 Hugo Awards. They can also vote to select the site of the 2024 Worldcon, and nominate for the 2023 Hugo Awards.
There are several classes of Attending Membership based on your age as of the first day of the convention (September 1, 2022):
- Adult (25+)
- YA (18-24)
- Teen (14-17). Can be on site without an adult. However, there must be contact information for one adult (if the adult is a member who will be on site) or two adults (if the Teen is not associated with an adult who will be on site).
- Child (10-13). Child Members can roam freely and be on their own in Kids’ Programming, but there must be contact information for their designated adult(s) who must be member(s) of the convention and present on site. We reserve the right to require the child to be accompanied by an adult in the event of concerns over behavior.
- Kid-in-Tow (0-9) – membership is free but Kids-in-Tow should be registered with us for safety and to help us with childcare planning (childcare hours are not included with the membership).
We also offer a lower cost First Attending Worldcon membership for Adults who have never physically attended a Worldcon before, as part of our aim to bring in new fans to our event. (Younger first-time attendees will get a lower price by buying the relevant age-based membership).
Please note that we expect to offer professional Childcare at the convention; this is not included in any membership. Details and prices will be available closer to the event.
Supporting Members are not able to attend the convention, but they can nominate and vote for the 2022 Hugo Awards, nominate for the 2023 Hugo Awards, and vote in Site Selection for the 2024 Worldcon. They also receive all convention publications (in electronic form by default).
If you voted in the 2022 Worldcon Site Selection, you are automatically a Supporting member of Chicon 8. Supporting memberships may be upgraded to Attending memberships at any point for the difference between the New Supporting and New Attending membership rates for the relevant age group.
Our initial membership rates are listed below, and are valid through July 31st, 2021.
Valid through July 31st, 2021
|New or Bid Donor||Bid Friend or Star|
|Voted||Did Not Vote||Voted||Did Not Vote|
|First Attending Worldcon*||60||110||Automatic||Automatic|
Am I a Member? Who Is a Member?
You can check the status of your membership, along with updating your contact information, by going to our registration site using the “join now” button above.
To see who already has a membership, please visit out membership list.
Our pre-con publications (progress reports, etc.) will be electronic.
Our at-con publications (in particular our Souvenir Book) will be available in print form and electronically. Attending Adults, Young Adults and Teens will receive print publications by default but can choose to opt out (e.g. if only wanting one copy per household).
Children and Supporting Members will have access to electronic publications by default but can opt into print publications at no extra cost.
Chicon 8 offers members a chance to purchase their memberships on an installment plan to make it easier for people to participate in our convention. To buy your membership on the installment plan, you must first purchase an attending membership for $50. This will lock in your membership rate on the day you request to be on the installment plan. You can request being on the installment plan any time after purchasing your supporting membership.
- Payments may be made online through the registration system or by check in USD.
- The minimum amount of a payment is $30 USD.
- You must pay in full by May 31, 2022. If you have not paid in full on May 31, the price for your membership is no longer locked at the price at time of registration. You will owe the difference between the current price and the amount you have already paid.
- Refunds for payments made will only be available through May 31, 2022. Your $50 Supporting membership is non-refundable.
- Statements will be sent quarterly through 2021 then monthly in 2022 through May 31.
- Installment Memberships are not transferable if they are not paid in full. A refund may be requested any time before May 31, 2022, for anything paid over the supporting membership amount.
- Once you have completed the payments on an installment plan, your attending membership is transferable if you are unable to join us.
People who supported the bid at the Friends and Stars level who wish to pay for their memberships on an installment plan should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment by Check: Check payments will take up to 30 days to process. If after 30 days, your check has not cleared, please contact email@example.com to inquire about the status of your check. Checks that “bounce” will be charged a fee of $30 per check.